I want to extract audio from the video to listen to it as a podcast while walking. But, I don’t know how to extract video in VLC.
Everyone is familiar with VLC, it is a video player that you often use to watch your favorite movies. Sometimes it becomes necessary to extract the audio from a video in VLC. For example, you want to add a video to your phone, but due to limited memory, the video cannot be transferred to the phone. So, in this case, an audio file is the best option.
Also, you may want to store the audio of the video in your device to use it later for various purposes. So, there are many reasons why anyone wants to extract video from audio. It is possible that you often feel an MP3 file is more valuable than MP4. In this article, you can know the steps to extract the audio from the MP4 file into an MP3 file using an open-source VLC media player.
VLC is not only a Media Player But, it is a whole software in itself. Also, it is compatible with both OS – Windows and macOS.
Part 1: Extract Audio from Video in VLC on Windows
VLC is a great tool for Windows users to watch videos. When you have downloaded any video from YouTube or want to convert it into audio, the VLC media player can help. You can easily extract the audio from the video files in VLC, and you do not need to playback video anymore.
To do this, all you need is a VLC Media Player. You can install or download the VLC for Windows from the official site of VLC. Make sure you download the correct version according to your Windows and 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.
Once you have installed the VLC player on your PC, follow these steps to separate audio from video:
Step1: Open the VLC player on the system
First, you will need to open the VLC media player on your system. For this, you can click on the shortcut icon of “VLC” on your desktop or can search it under the search bar.
Step 2. Go to “Convert/Save”
- Once you open the VLC player, go to “Media” from the top left corner.
- Now, under “Media,” click on the “Convert/Save” option. It will take you to a dialog box.
The Convert/Save button is located at the lower right hand of the drop-down list.
Step 3. Add video files
- After you click on the “Convert/Save” option, you will see a new window with a dialog box again.
- Now, click on the “+Add” button to add the video file that you want to convert to an audio file.
Step 4. Convert video files to audio files
- After adding the file, click on the “Convert/Save” button present at the bottom of the page.
Step 5. Change profile settings
- Now, on the new dialog box, you see options to change the settings. So, in the settings section, you can see a profile drop-down option.
- Click on the profile option, and pull the drop-down menu to select the select “Audio – MP3”.
Step 6. Start converting video to audio
- After selecting the “Audio – MP3” in profile settings, click on browse to choose the destination to save the audio file on your system.
- Now, click on the “Start” button to start converting video to audio in the VLC media player.
Note: Before you click on the start button, make sure you have added the .mp3 extension in the destination name while saving the file.
- Finally, you can see an audio file gets saved at the destination address you choose. Now click on that file to check if it is working or not. But of course, it will work, and you can play audio on PC.
Part 2: Extract Audio from Video in VLC on MacBook
Many MacBook users want to separate audio from video in VLC Media Player. But, majority of the people are unaware on how to extract audio from video in VLC on MacBook. Extracting audio from video is not a difficult task. In this guide, you will see the easy to use steps to extract audio in VLC.
Step 1: Open VLC Player on MacBook
- First, you will need to open the VLC Media Player on your MacBook. For this, you can go to applications and click on the VLC icon.
Step 2: Select Convert/Stream
- Now, from the menu bar at the top, click on the “File” and under it select the “Convert/Stream” option.
Step 3: Drop and drag media file to convert
- Next, you will see a dialog box where you need to drop and drag the video file from which you want to extract the audio.
Step 4: Select the format MP3 in the profile
- After selecting the media file, click on the “Choose Profile” option to choose the MP3 for the video you selected.
Step 5: Click on Save as File
- Once you select the profile for your media file, click on the “Save as File” present at the bottom left.
- After this, you will see a new window where you need to click on “Browse” to select the destination. It is the place on MacBook where you want to save the audio file that you separated from the video.
Step 6: Choose the destination
- Last, you need to select the destination, which can be anything like Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc.
- Also, choose the name for the audio, and do not forget to add the .mp3 extension at the end of the name to save the file.
Finally, click on the “Save” button to save the mp3 file. Now, you can see that you have successfully converted the video into audio in the VLC player on MacBook.
VLC Media Player is a fantastic software that comes with various features and customization options. You can use VLC on both Windows and macOS. Also, with the help of the above steps, you can extract audio from video in VLC. Further, it allows you to save the audio in many formats of your choice. Hope now you know how to separate audio from video in the VLC media player. Try it now!